Dr. Austin Barrett grew up in Jackson, MS; the son of one of MSMOC’s founding members, Dr. Gene Barrett. He graduated from Jackson Academy high school in 1999 where he served as Treasurer and was voted All-State Defensive End. He then graduated summa cum laude from the University of Mississippi in 2003. After college he obtained his Medical Degree from Emory University School of Medicine where he served as medical student Senator.
Dr. Barrett’s professional training in Orthopaedic Surgery included a 5-year residency program at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He then completed an additional fellowship training year in sports medicine at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, AL under Dr. James Andrews and his staff where he was intimately involved with athletic care and coverage of Auburn University.
Dr. Barrett returned to his hometown of Jackson in 2013 to join MSMOC. He is Board Certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and specializes in injuries and arthroscopic treatment of the hip and knee.
- Phi Beta Kappa Honorary Society
- Taylor Medal Award at University of Mississippi
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honor Society
- Golden Key International Honor Society
- Mortar Board Honor Society
- Treasurer of National Society for Collegiate Scholars
- Membership Director of Gamma Beta Phi
- Chairman of Service Committee of Phi Sigma Pi
- Honorary Vice President of Phi Kappa Phi
- Medical Student Senator
- AAOS – American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- AOSSM – American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- AANA – Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Associate Master Instructor for AANA Knee Ligament and Fundamentals of Arthroscopy Courses
- SOA – Southern Orthopaedic Association
- Order of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Sports Medicine Fellowship Society (AKA “Order of the Blind Squirrel”)
- Mississippi Orthopaedic Society
- Mississippi State Medical Association
Publications / Presentations
Dr. Austin Barrett talks about ACL Reconstruction