Dr. Austin Barrett grew up in Jackson, MS. As the son of one of our founding members, Dr. Gene Barrett, Austin spent much of his childhood in and around MSMOC. He graduated from Jackson Academy in 1999, where he served on the student government and played various sports, including football and a state championship baseball team! He then graduated summa cum laude from the University of Mississippi in 2003. After college he obtained his medical degree from Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, GA, where he served on the medical school senate.
Dr. Barrett’s professional training in Orthopaedic Surgery began with a 5-year residency program at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He then completed an additional fellowship training year in sports medicine at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, AL under Dr. James Andrews and his staff where he was intimately involved with the athletic care and coverage of Auburn University.
Dr. Barrett returned home to Jackson in 2013 to join MSMOC. He is Board Certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and specializes in injuries and arthroscopic treatment of the hip and knee.
He currently serves as head team physician for Millsaps College, Southwest Mississippi Community College, and Pearl High School.
- Phi Beta Kappa Honorary Society
- Taylor Medal Award at University of Mississippi
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honor Society
- Golden Key International Honor Society
- Mortar Board Honor Society
- Treasurer of National Society for Collegiate Scholars
- Membership Director of Gamma Beta Phi
- Chairman of Service Committee of Phi Sigma Pi
- Honorary Vice President of Phi Kappa Phi
- Medical Student Senator
- Mississippi Orthopaedic Society – Board of Directors, Program Chairman 2017
- Mississippi High School Athletic Association Advisory Committee
- Central Medical Society – State Delegate
- Associate Master Instructor for AANA Knee Ligament and Fundamentals of Arthroscopy Courses
- AAOS – American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- AOSSM – American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- AANA – Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Merit Health Systems Trauma Committee
- SOA – Southern Orthopaedic Association
- Order of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Mississippi State Medical Association
- American Sports Medicine Fellowship Society (AKA “Order of the Blind Squirrel”)
Prodromos, Chadwick C. The Anterior Cruciate Ligament: Reconstruction and Basic Science. 2nded. Elsevier, 2018. Ch 81. Interference Screw Fixation in Bone-Patellar-Tendon-Bone Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. p322-326.
Hendric ST, Barrett AM, Chrea B, Replogle WH, Hydrick JM, Barrett GR; Relationship Between Posterior-Inferior Tibial Slope and Bilateral Noncontact ACL Injury. Orthopedics 2017 Jan 1;40(1):e136-e140.
Hurt JA, Berry JH, Replogle W, Thibodeaux K, Hydrick JM, Barrett AM, Barrett GR. Efficacy of Two Techniques in Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. J Knee Surg Dec 2016.
Dugas, Jeffrey MD; Barrett, Austin MD; Beason, David PhD; Plymale, Mickey MD; Fleisig, Glenn PhD. Tibiofemoral Contact Biomechanics Following Meniscocapsular Separation and Repair. Int J Sports Med. 2015 Vol. 36:498-502
Austin Barrett MD, Gene R. Barrett MD, Kasey Thibodeaux MS, William H. Replogle PhD, Taylor Parks BS, Donald Baker MD. Body Mass Index as an Indicator of Associated Intra-articular Injuries in Patients with Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tears. J Surg Orthop Advaces Fall 2015. Vol 24(3):159-163.
Barrett, Austin, MD; Wingerter, Scott, MD; Jew, Nicholas, BS; Mehrle, Kerk, MD. Early Outcomes of Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty in Obese Patients: Stemmed vs. Non-stemmed Tibial Component.Mississippi Orthopaedic Society 2012.
Austin M Barrett, MD, Jason A. Craft, MD, William H. Replogle, PhD, Josie M. Hydrick, BS, and Gene R. Barrett, MD. Anterior Cruciate Ligament Graft Failure: A Comparison or Graft Type Based on Age and Tegner Activity Level. Am J Sports Med. Vol. 39:10 Oct 2011. 2194-2198.
Gene R. Barrett, MD; John P. Peden, Jr, MD; Kristin W. Spradlin, MA Ed., BS; Austin Barrett, BA. Mechanisms of Graft Failure in Primary Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. E-Poster at Arthroscopy Association of North America. Publication Date: 2006.
Thomas E Lohmeier, Drew A Hildebrandt, Austin M Barrett, Eric D Irwin, Martin A Rossing, David J Sedar, Robert S Kieval. The Renal Nerves are not Essential for Sustained Baroreflex-Mediated Reductions in Arterial Pressure. Am J Hypertension. 2005 Vol 18 (5 part 2) 131A
Thomas E. Lohmeier, PhD, Austin M. Barrett, BA, and Eric D. Irwin, MD. Prolonged Activation of the Baroreflex: A Viable Approach for the Treatment of Hypertention? Current Hypertension Reports. 2005 Vol 7, 193-198.
Thomas E. Lohmeier, Drew A. Hildebrandt, Austin M. Barrett, Eric D. Irwin, Martin A. Rossing, David J. Serdar, Robert S. Keval. Prolonged Baroreflex Activation Decreases Arterial Pressure Even in the Absence of Renal Innervation. J Am Soc Nephrology. 2004 Vol 15. 201A.
Austin Barrett MD, Hip Arthroscopy: History and Future Directions. Mississippi Orthopaedic Society 2017.
Austin Barrett MD, Arthroscopic Hamstring Repairs. MSMOC Visiting Professor Conference 2017.
Austin Barrett MD, Hip Arthroscopy: Trends, Advances, and Subtle Signs of Hip Pathology. Mississippi Orthopaedic Society 2016.
Austin Barrett MD, Common Hip Conditions. Family Medicine Update 2016.
Austin Barrett MD, Athletic Hip Injuries: Evaluation and Management. Mississippi Athletic Trainers’ Association Meeting 2016.
Austin Barrett MD, Management of Cartilage Defects of the Knee. Family Medicine Update 2014.
Austin Barrett MD, Lynne Jeter. MSMOC Weighs in. Mississippi Medical News. August 2013
Barrett, Austin, MD; Mehrle, Kerk, MD. Early Outcomes of Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty in Obese Patients: Stemmed vs. Non-stemmed Tibial Component. Mississippi Orthopaedic Society 2012.
Austin M Barrett; Gene R. Barrett, MD. Anterior Cruciate Ligament Graft Failure: A Comparison or Graft Type Based on Age and Tegner Activity Level. Am J Sports Med. Vol. 39:10 Oct 2011.2194-2198.
– Presentation at Mid-America Orthopaedic Association 4/24/2010
– Presentation at Mississippi Orthopaedic Society 5/2010
– Presentation at Southern Orthopaedic Association 6/2010
– Presentation at The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine 7/2010
Dr. Austin Barrett talks about ACL Reconstruction