Dr. Walter Shelton was born and raised in Charleston, Mississippi. After receiving a Bachelor of Science Degree from Mississippi State University, Dr. Shelton entered medical school at the University of Mississippi School of Medicine in Jackson and received the Doctor of Medicine degree in 1974.
Dr. Shelton’s professional training in Orthopaedic surgery includes a one-year general surgery internship at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas. He completed his Orthopaedic surgery residency in 1976 at the University of Mississippi Medical Center and in 1980 at the Campbell Clinic in Memphis. Dr. Shelton completed a fellowship (extra specialty training) in sports medicine and knee surgery through the Berg Sloat Post Graduate Fellowship Program. Dr. Shelton is Board Certified in the specialty of Orthopaedic surgery with a special interest in knee surgery.
- Phi Eta Sigma – Freshman Honorary Society
- Omicron Delta Kappa – National Honorary Fraternity
- President’s Scholarship Phi Kappa Phi – National Honorary Society Rust Academic Scholarship
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- Mississippi State Medical Association
- International Society of Arthroscopy Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- Meniscal and Cartilage Study Group (Meeting Chairman, 1998)
- PCL Study Group
- Central Medical Society
- Mississippi State Orthopaedic Society