ORTHOPAEDIC SPORTS MEDICINE AND ARTHROSCOPY FELLOWSHIP
- Physicians participate in weekly Wednesday morning didactic lectures and a journal club once a month.
- All the physicians enjoy an all-expense-paid trip to the Fall AANA (Arthroscopy Association of North America) and one other course of their choosing.
- Physicians are also able to participate in various industry-sponsored courses.
- Physicians will also be able to attend (expenses paid) any course for which their research is to be presented.
- Physicians will also be able to attend and participate in our onsite Cadaver Lab.
INFORMATION ABOUT OUR ROTATIONS
The advanced training year is divided into five rotations each of which lasts 5 weeks and is repeated giving each physician a total of 10 weeks for each rotation. This format also allows for physicians to learn and develop their clinical and surgical skills in order to derive more from each instructor when they return to the rotation. The different rotations allow for not only different areas of focus but also a wide variety of pathology as well as treatment options and techniques.
The physicians undergo an extensive operative experience in both upper and lower extremity sports injuries.
- Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Hip Arthroscopy
- Reverse Shoulder
- Knee Arthroscopy
- Elbow Arthroscopy
- Elbow Ligament Reconstruction
- Complex Shoulder Instability Stabilization
- Physicians should expect to participate in a minimum of 400 knee surgeries and 500 shoulder surgeries as well as numerous hip, elbow, and wrist arthroscopic procedures for direct participation in over 1,000 cases a year per fellow.
- The flexibility of the instructors also allows for students to follow faculty on other rotations for the opportunity to participate in particularly interesting or unusual cases.
- Mississippi Sports Medicine also employs surgeon advanced trained Hand, Foot & Ankle, and Joint faculty that are gladly willing to accommodate fellow participation.
Both Surgeon Advanced Training Programs are offered a team of researchers, including a Director of Research and 2 Research Coordinators that are well versed in our procedures, techniques, and areas of study. This team is here to assist our physicians through the research process by assisting with the finding of journal articles, article formatting, and submission.
Through the Research Department, our physicians have access to CareSense, SOS, and all of our Faculty Physicians’ case logs by CPT code, as well as our on-site Orthopaedic Surgical Library.
- Physicians have the opportunity to cover high school, junior college, and collegiate level football.
- Each physician is assigned a high school and collegiate level football team to cover throughout the season.
- Physicians will also assist with a high volume of physicals for athletes in all sports.
- During football season the physicians run a free Saturday morning clinic with a faculty attending for any of the area athletes.
WHY CHOOSE MS SPORTS MEDICINE & ORTHOPAEDIC CENTER
- Our unique partnership with Tulane University College of Sports Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, and University of Mississippi Medical Center allows an unmatched opportunity to be exposed to both Private Clinical Practice and Academic Institution Medical Practice Models during the Surgeon Advanced Training Program.
- Due to our Private Practice Partnership setting and high volume of surgical cases we perform, we offer an opportunity that will maximize each participant’s clinical and surgical training experiences.
- Base Salary – $57,500
- Paid Call Coverage on top of base salary
- $500/night $1000/weekend
- Professional Liability Insurance
- Family Health Insurance Coverage
- Complimentary Family gym membership to Healthplex
- Complimentary Country Club membership
INTERESTED IN JOINING?
Madison G. McCluer
Director of Education and Credentialing
SPORTS MEDICINE & ARTHROSCOPY FACULTY PHYSICIANS
SHOULDER & ELBOW
Dr. Larry Field
Dr. Field’s rotation focuses on upper extremity pathology and primarily the arthroscopic treatment of the shoulder and elbow.
HIP & KNEE
Dr. Jason Craft
Associate Program Director
Dr. Craft’s rotation focuses on the treatment of lower extremity injuries including knee and hip arthroscopy.
SHOULDER & ELBOW
Dr. Rhett Hobgood
Dr. Hobgood specializes in the arthroscopic treatment of upper extremity injuries. Dr. Hobgood also has a special emphasis on shoulder arthroplasty.
HIP & KNEE
Dr. James O'Mara
Dr. O’Mara’s practice is exclusively on lower extremity with an emphasis on hip arthroscopies.
SHOULDER & ELBOW
Dr. James Ramsey
Dr. Ramsey specializes in the arthroscopic treatment of upper extremity injuries.
HIP & KNEE
Dr. Austin Barrett
Dr. Barrett’s practice focuses on the management of injuries and pathology of the lower extremity, including open and arthroscopic treatment of the hip and knee.
TULANE INSTITUTE OF SPORTS MEDICINE'S FELLOWSHIP PHYSICIANS
SHOULDER, ELBOW & WRIST
Dr. Felix "Buddy" Savoie
Shoulder, Elbow & Wrist Specialist
Dr. Savoie’s practice in New Orleans focuses on the arthroscopic treatment of both shoulder and elbow pathology.
SHOULDER & ELBOW
Dr. Michael O'Brien
Shoulder & Elbow Specialist
Dr. Michael O’Brien’s practice in New Orleans focuses on the arthroscopy of the shoulder and elbow, rotator cuff disease, shoulder and elbow reconstruction including total shoulder replacements and total elbow replacements, sports medicine, ligament reconstruction of the knee, and fracture care in both adults and children.
GENERAL ORTHOPAEDICS & SPORTS MEDICINE
Dr. Wendell Heard
General Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine Specialist
Dr. Wendell M.R. Heard’s practice in New Orleans focuses on general orthopaedics with a subspecialty in sports medicine. He is the Assistant Professor of Clinical Orthopaedics at Tulane.
MESSAGE FROM THE DIRECTOR OF THE SPORTS MEDICINE FELLOWSHIP
On behalf of the Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Surgeon Advanced Training Program at Mississippi Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center (MSMOC), I want to personally welcome you to our program website. Our sports medicine advanced training is an ACGME accredited 12-month program offering 5 approved physician positions. All of our sports faculty are committed to the highest quality care for our patients and to educating and training our sports medicine physicians. The MSMOC sports advanced training program exposes the 5 physicians to all areas of sports medicine surgical practice including shoulder, elbow, knee, and ankle arthroscopic procedures as well as to an extensive experience in hip arthroscopy. In addition, numerous opportunities to participate in a wide variety of open procedures such as reverse shoulder arthroplasty, elbow ligament reconstruction, and complex shoulder instability stabilization are available.
Our private practice partnership setting creates unique efficiencies for our sports physicians to learn and develop while also fostering opportunities that maximize their clinical and surgical training experiences. As a consequence, each sports medicine physician can expect to directly participate in over 1000 surgical cases during their training year. Physicians take part in a wide variety of patient care interactions including clinical office assessments, on-field athletic evaluations, and extensive operative experiences.
All surgeons rotate through 10-week rotations with each instructor (including a 10-week formal rotation with Drs. Felix (Buddy) Savoie and Michael O’Brien at Tulane University in New Orleans). Each of our sports medicine faculty is a surgical sub-specialist that has tremendous experience in both open and arthroscopic procedures, and all have written and presented extensively both nationally and internationally within their respective areas of expertise. We sincerely appreciate your interest in our sports medicine surgeon advanced training program.
Larry D. Field, MD
Director, MSMOC Sports Medicine Surgeon Advanced Training Program